Thursday, September 25, 2014

Ironman Maryland 2014

Amazing the difference a year makes. After rebounding off a terrible race in CDA (DNF), I'm pleased to have not only completed another Ironman (my fourth), but to have PR'd by nearly one hour. I ended up traveling out to Cambridge, MD on my own as none of my friends were able to do this race with me. I had originally signed up for IM Tahoe, but took advantage of the IM policy which allows you to switch races within a calendar year. Given IM Maryland is new (inaugural year), I opted for the flatter/faster course. Good decision too. I had beautiful weather (mid 60's at the start to high 70's, no humidity and only minor wind). I ended up staying in Easton, MD, just 20 miles north of Cambridge. I also ended up renting a bike in Easton as well. This was a cheap Trek race bike on which I attached my aero-bars. The swim took place in the Choptank River. It was a rolling start, placing yourself according to how fast you felt you would swim. I put myself in the 1:30 - 1:45 group. I probably should have moved up one group as I had to fight my way through a number of swimmers in the first 200-300m. It was a two loop swim course that went pretty well. I ended up with a time of 1:32:00 - slow but right where I expected to be. The bike course was also two loops, flat and fast, and scenic. I ended up surprising even myself with a very fast pace of 19.1 mph and a total time of 5:51:00. The run was a three loop run that didn't go as well as I would have liked. I ended up bonking after about mile 3 and once again feeling nauseous. I also felt a huge need for more salt and ended up downing several cups of potato chips. Next time, I will need to be better prepared with more salt tablets (had only two). My run time was 5:27:00 (12:30 min/mi pace) which was disappointing. However, I felt good to have completed the entire race in 13:05:55. Had I known that I was only 6 minutes off a sub-13 hour IM, I definitely could have pushed myself harder on the run. My watch broke the day before and I opted to go without one. Again, while I've identified a few areas to work on, I'm very happy with the overall results - another IM under my belt, fast bike, and new PR. Not sure what IM I will target in 2015. My next race is the California International Marathon in Sacramento where I will attempt to qualify for the Boston Marathon. I need at least a 3:25:00 but am shooting for sub-3:20:00. Stay tuned . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment