Thursday, September 25, 2014

Catching up on multiple races

Wasatch Steeplechase (June 2014) A few weeks after completing the IM Hawaii 70.3, my friend (Greg Hoole) and I ran a 17 mile trail run known as the Wahsatch Steeplechase. This is a very challenging race that begins in Memory Park (SLC, UT) and basically runs straight up Black mountain (above the U of U), gaining over 4,000 vertical feet before descending the other side down Smugglers gulch and into Rotary Park/City Creek Canyon. This is my first venture into trail running, but not my last. I enjoyed mixing it up and hope to do more of these events in the future. The race took us 3:14:08 (11:44 min/mi) to complete. I definitely need to work on my vertical running/climbing conditioning as it is much different and more difficult than just running on the roads. Also more dangerous! I ended up catching a toe on multiple occasions and had a couple nasty spills. However, with the terrain that Utah has to offer, I hope to do more of this in 2015. IM Hawaii 70.3 (June 2014) Also known as the Honu Half Ironman, this race was a complete blast! It has to be one of my favorite races of all time. Just an absolutely beautiful venue and course. I ended up flying over to Hawaii with my friend Rich Goode (same guy that raced IMStG and IMTX with me). Unfortunately, Camille couldn't make the trip which would have made it even better. We had great weather, just a slight wind at times but nothing too major. The course is set up on the same location as the IM World Championship race. At least the bike course covers the same area. The swim is actually in a different bay and the run in a different location; nevertheless, you are experiencing much of the same terrain and conditions as the pros do. I had a great race, setting a PR in the Half Ironman distance with 6:03:47. 2014 is definitely a much different story that last year. I trained pretty well over the winter after moving from Ohio back to Utah. Swim - 41:36, Bike - 3:00:21 (18.6 mph), Run - 2:06:46 (9:41 min/mi). I was disappointed to have not broken sub-6 hour, but still happy with the PR nonetheless. Fantastic race and one that I will definitely compete in again. IM Couer d'Alene (June 2013)-DNF Ugly. No other word for it. DNF-ing was one of the most humbling and embarrassing experiences in my entire life. To have paid the money (registration, airfare, hotel, car, etc, etc) and told everyone what I was doing, and yet to come up short was difficult. The one silver lining was that it acted as a catalyst to get me better prepared for future events. I will never undertake another Ironman without training appropriately. IMCDA was a much more difficult course than I expected (bike course was very steep). And, my riding on the flat lands of Ohio did not help me prepare. I did enjoy going up to Couer d'Alene (beautiful btw) with my brother in-law (Jonny Spendlove) and my friend (Stan Hansen). Both Jonny and Stan successful completed the race. I had a good swim and felt fine starting the bike. However, by the time I was at mile 40, I knew I was in trouble as I was already exhausted. By mile 80, I threw in the towel. Total bonk! I ended up taking the ride of shame back to the finish line where I went and grabbed a steak dinner at Outback and then returned to watch Jonny and Stan come in. I couldn't wait to get back into shape and redeem myself. IM St. George 70.3 (May 2013) Given the difficulty of the course and early IM season race date, WTC converted the IM StG into a 70.3 distance race after just three seasons. I'm grateful to have had the opportunity to participant in the inaugural event back in 2010. I went down to St. George with my friends, Stan Hansen, Greg Hoole and Shad Morris. Despite my lack of training, I was able to grit my way to a mediocre finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment