Sunday, March 22, 2009

And so it begins . . .

Several years ago, actually it was 2002, my friends and I starting talking about running the Moab Half Marathon. I had just turned 32, had three kids, and was about to hang up my rugby cleats after playing for over 11 years. I now needed a new hobby and something to keep me in relatively good shape. I never considered myself a runner and had never run more than 5 or 6 miles at one time. Nevertheless, the impulsive side of me said "why not?" and the next thing I knew, I was signed up and training for this event (13.1 mile run).

Over the past seven years, I have had the opportunity and pleasure to participate in a number of fun races including 7 Half Marathons, 4 Marathons, 3 Olympic distance triathlons, and 1 grueling Half Ironman. Not only are these events a great experience to share with family and friends, but they are excellent motivators for me to wake up early each morning (okay some mornings) and exercise (even on those dark, cold, icy mornings in Boston). And for me, I need to have a motivating event to work towards unlike my father-in-law who rises every morning at 5:30 AM to go run up City Creek Canyon. I don't just exercise for health's sake. I exercise so that I can accomplish my goals.

In the summer of 2007, I was training for the St. George Marathon. While out on a short, casual run, I ended up tearing my sartorius muscle (see image left). Not only was this extremely painful, but it prohibited me from doing any serious running or biking for almost a year. After a few months of physical therapy, I was able to gradually start running. But even today, I struggle with the effects of this injury including an awkward gait (stride) and tightening in my right quadricep muscle. So after being out of pocket for over a year, gaining 20 lbs (currently 210), and getting way out of shape from a cardio, strength and endurance standpoint, I have begun my journey back.

Which brings us up to last week when my friend, Stan Hansen, called to inform me that the World Triathlon Corporation had just named St. George, Utah as the newest location for the Ford Ironman series. Again, the impulsive side of me took over and I registered before the end of the day (It is important to note that the Ford Ironman series is extremely difficult to get into. Most events sell out on the day of the event with slots going to individuals actually participating in that day's race.) Ever since I began participating in triathlon events, I have dreamed about completing an ironman distance. In my opinion, this is the pinnacle of all endurance sporting events. To complete an ironman and be named among the select number of individuals that have done so is quite an accomplishment. So the "concept" of being an ironman is what compelled me to sign up ($550 registration fee - no small chunk of change).

So now the fun begins! I recently renewed my membership at the local pool (Atkinson pool in Sudbury) as well as the fitness center that is tied to my work.  This will enable me to work out twice a day - once before work and a second time during my lunch break.  I will either bike or swim in the mornings and run during lunch.  So far, I'm two for two.  I can't believe how much ground I have to make up.  In today's swim, I could barely make it 16 laps.  Nevertheless, it feels good to be back at it.

Stay tuned for regular updates on my progress towards "the ultimate pursuit."

2 comments:

  1. We're cheering for you! 2 for 2 -- impressive so far!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome Steve. Thanks for motivating my husband to keep on going!! We love you guys!!
    Ann

    ReplyDelete